I think people are trying to overcomplicate this issue asking about commands like `file` and `type`.  There's only 2 things that matter for it to try and execute without an absolute or relative path:

1. Is it in a directory in my PATH?
2. Does is have the executable bit on?

If you want to convince yourself of this try moving a binary file (maybe a jpeg or png) into something in your path and setting it's permissions to 755, you'll get something like:

    paul@galactica $ nsa_smiley.jpg
    bash: /usr/local/bin/nsa_smiley.jpg: cannot execute binary file

It tries to execute the jpg file because the above criteria are met.  Larry already showed he can run `bin/foo.sh` from within his home directory, so the execute bit *is* set, therefore the only possible explanation is that the particular shell he's using does not have `$HOME/bin` inside his path.

How to add that to your shell on startup can be a loaded question.  Using bash on Linux the answer is put it in your $HOME/.bashrc file.  If you're using a different shell I'd start with the man page of that shell.  Also note that there's various things that could make the shell you're using different that what's in `/etc/passwd` (which is the same as $SHELL) so the value of $0 is likely what you want.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM, sean <sean.a.ritzler@gmail.com> wrote:

You only posted the output of which after sourcing .profile. Your non-login, interactive bash sessions are sourcing .bashrc. Export your path in there.

On Feb 27, 2014 5:29 PM, "Dazed_75" <lthielster@gmail.com> wrote:
You guys need to read the thread which already shows the output of which and type.  Let's just drop the whole subject as all we are getting is repeats of the same questions.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:00 PM, KevinO <kevin@kevino.org> wrote:
On 02/27/2014 03:55 PM, Dazed_75 wrote:
> Sean, as stated before, I do have a bashrc and it is being adhered to by
> the system.  There IS NO OUTPUT from killsol.sh.  It is designed to kill a
> process if it exists and do so silently whether the process exists or not.
Larry,

Sean is asking for the output of the 'which' command, when it is passed the
string 'killsol.sh' as an argument. You need to look at what he is asking you to
type more closely.

ie: $ which killsol.sh

re: man which

> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 3:52 PM, sean <sean.a.ritzler@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> So, again, what is the output of "which killsol.sh"? A

HTH
--
KevinO

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.

Paul Mooring
Operations Engineer
Chef