I figure I should evoke the script with sudo. I think that will make it work but do not think that was the intent. Also, how do I access the drive since it will not give me a nice little window with the contents thereof when I stick the t-drive in the computer?
:-)~MIKE~(-:

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:35 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
well... I restarted but it didn't seem to have any effect. I saved the script to the desktop and made it executable and when I activate it the computer accesses the USB twice (after three seconds.... after three seconds it accesses it then 3 seconds later it accesses it again, but it will only do that once. subsequent activations of the script do nothing).

Well I figured out I need to run it from a terminal.

bmike1@PresarioLapTop1:~/Desktop$ ./Backup\ bmike1
building file list ... done
rsync: mkdir "/mnt/backup/bmike1" failed: Permission denied (13)
rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at main.c(605) [Receiver=3.0.9]
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (9 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(605) [sender=3.0.9]
bmike1@PresarioLapTop1:~/Desktop$

so I made /mnt/backup/bmike1 but got this error:

rsync: failed to set times on "/mnt/backup/bmike1/.": Operation not permitted (1)
then it went through and copied the stuff in ~ and went on to mkdir for the next directory to copy  and got the ol permision denied thing. hmmmm maybe if I run it with sudo! but matt said no sudo should be necessary. So what is wrong?

Furthermore, how do I access the backup drive? I checked in the directory I created but there is nothing in there so I assume it copied the files to the USB drive:
bmike1@PresarioLapTop1:/mnt/backup/bmike1$ ls /mnt/backup/bmike1
bmike1@PresarioLapTop1:/mnt/backup/bmike1$

:-)~MIKE~(-:

On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 6:32 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
now I need to restart for the new line in fstab to be recognized?
:-)~MIKE~(-:

From: Michael Havens
>> 3. Make an entry for the partition you made in your /etc/fstab :
>> LABEL=MY_BACKUPS  /mnt/backup  ext3  noauto,users,noatime  0  0
> In step 3 the "LABEL=..." entry in fstab makes it so that whatever has
> the label MY_BACKUPS will be seen as the proper device regardless of
> whether it is sdc, sdc1, sdd, etc....?

If you have a LABEL= entry in your fstab, then when you mount the mountpoint
for that entry, ("mount /mnt/backup" here), mount will query each block device
in the system and ask it "Is your label MY_BACKUPS?"  If it gets a "yes"
answer, it will mount that block device on that mountpoint.  mount knows where
the filesystem labels live on all commonly used filesystems (ext234, reiserfs,
xfs, jfs, FAT32, FAT16, NTFS, HFS+, and there are probably others I'm
forgetting), and it can do this check pretty quickly under normal
circumstances.

If you have 2 block devices on the same system with the same filesystem label,
and then you try to mount by label, stupid things will probably happen.  So
don't do that.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/