I do a lot of media work and kept notes on packages tested. Note that (subsequent versions may have been improved since I last checked.

Linux Likes:

kdenlive: most capable one I've used so far, many FX
openshot: also good, multiple tracks, creative transitions and FX, very intuitive
pitivi: easy, basic, no transitions but works.
kino: _very_ basic, Ok for capturing

Linux Dislikes:

avidemux: (GTK+ and QT versions) no timelines, storylines or help :(
lives: crash-a-lot
open movie editor: crude, crash-a-lot
Cinelerra: might have some usefull fx but the interface is kludgy and lots of err messages.

Windows likes:

Adobe Premiere. A bit of a learning curve if you're new to editing video, but by far the most capable and creative editor I've ever used. I did most of my project, commercial and VJ clips work with this one. Great for being artsy, lots of 3rd party plugins, filters & FX.

Final Cut: Also very capable editor

Windows dislikes:

AVID: Dedicated hardware machine or software: I know it's very popular in the pro world but it's not terribly intuitive or cooperative. Very expensive and moody. We had this in the labs at film skool, I used premiere at home and still aced it. :)

They did a kdenlive demo at the last PLUG meeting, I should have dragged my a$$ over there ...