Mr kitepilot didn’t finish the story, which is: “By convention, files name ‘.something’ are not shown in an ‘ls’ listing, nor do they match file globbing on the command line unless you explicitly include the leading period.”  (And I may have forgotten other places that leading periods have an effect, but I think that’s it)

Thus you would have matched .*lock* and .*k and .*lo* and even .~* (assuming I am reading your filename right.)

Rusty

From: plug-discuss-bounces@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us [mailto:plug-discuss-bounces@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us] On Behalf Of Michael Havens
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 1:56 PM
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: Re: Can't save... insufficient user rights

 it doesn't like 'rm *lock* but only when I entered '.~lock*' instead of the wildcard at the beginning.

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 12:51 PM, kitepilot@com <kitepilot@.com> wrote:

There are not 'invisible files'.
There is a 'convention' that states that files named '.something' are not shown in a 'ls' listing it doesn't like 'rm *lock* unless some specific switches are used.

The 'dot' at the beginning, however *IS* part of the name of the file.
Try a:
find . -type f
and you will find it every time.
ET