Setup ntpd for best results.

You also want to be sure you have perfectly acceptable PTR records for Yahoo and Gmail to enhance deliverability (although this has nothing to do with this problem):

http://www.webmasterworld.com/apache/4231275.htm

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 9:03 PM, Derek Trotter <expat.arizonan@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know who else to ask, but yesterday and today I've had trouble sending email to a friend who has a verizon.net address.  Verizon keeps rejecting them.  Here's what I get back from them.  I just don't know who else to ask.  Has anyone else had this trouble?

thanks

 Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 20:59:00 -0700
 From: Derek<######@gmail.com>
 To: John<######@verizon.net>
 Subject: just checking

Your message cannot be delivered to the following recipients:

 Recipient address: @relay.verizon.yahoo.com:######@verizon.net
 Original address:######@verizon.net
 Reason: SMTP transmission failure has occurred
 Diagnostic code: smtp;554 Message not allowed - [320]
 Remote system: dns;mx1-vzn.mail.yahoo.com (TCP|206.46.172.79|34174|67.195.168.231|25) (mta1012.vzn.mail.ac4.yahoo.com ESMTP YSmtp service ready)

(503) 754-4452 Android
(623) 239-3392 Skype
(623) 688-3392 Google Voice
**