I would say do and fdisk -l /dev/sda and show us the  output.  then we can see what partitions are where and move on to checking filesystems

On Jan 14, 2012 5:11 PM, "Michael Havens" <bmike1@gmail.com> wrote:
I know there is filesystem there.... I just wrote it.
What in the world?
     dd if=/dev/sda2 bs=16 count=1 | od -a
says records in and records out  and then so maNY BYTES WERE COPIED IN how much time. . Then it says..... oh how stupid I am! I created the d drive on a logical partition..... sda5 not sda2

hmmmm.... it didn't mount it read-only but I'm getting other errors wh.en I run fsarchiver. This time it says:
     executing [ntfs-3g -h]. . .
     command [ntfs-3g -h] returned 9
     executing [ntfs-3g -o streams_interface=xattr -o efs_raw -o ro /dev/sda1 /tmp/fsa/20120114-164053-00]. . .
     command [ntfs-3g -o streams_interface=xattr -o efs_raw -o ro /dev/sda1 /tmp/fsa/20120114-164053-00]. . . returned 0
     Analising filesystem on /dev/sda1. . .
     [error5 (and then it gives a directory that my folks deleted before they gave my brother this computer)]
     [error5 more text I don't want to type
     [executing fusermount]. .
     command fusermount returned 1
     executing fusermount -u <file>]. . .
     command fusermount -u <file> returned 0
     removed <fsarciver file>

This is so frustrating. I can't create an account on the fsarchiver forum so I need to ask you guys.

From: Michael Havens <bmike1@gmail.com>
> After searching fir an answer I found mount.ntfs-3g so I type in
>      mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sda2 /c
>
> and the machine tells me I have an invalid argument. This is strange
> because when I mount sda1 with the same command it does it with no
> problems.

Is there a filesystem on sda2?  If "mount.ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/somewhere"
works and it doesn't work with sda2, then check.  Doing "dd if=/dev/sda2 bs=16
count=1 | od -a" should return a line or 2 with "N T F S" immediately visible.
 If you get nothing but zeroes, then there isn't an NTFS filesystem there.
Figure out what is there and go from there.  If there isn't anything there,
sda2 isn't an extended partition, and you *want* to have an NTFS filesystem
there, mkntfs could do that, but I don't know what Windows would do with it.
It tends to get irritated when everything isn't exactly like how it expects.

Also, when Windows creates more than one partition on a disk, it generally
makes those extra partitions logical, not primary, or at least it *used* to in
2000/XP.  "fdisk -l /dev/sda" and post the results.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows
The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/