There is an android app that does the math. But that's all I got.

On Oct 27, 2011 12:38 AM, "Dazed_75" <lthielster@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Josef, I was hoping there was a way to avoid the manipulation work.

I have never used Python though I have looked at some.  I saw 3 .py files and release notes in the download.  I saw no readable description of the contents/functionality and more unfamiliar code I didn't want to read. probably easier to do the manipulations than to learn Python.

On Thu, Oct 27, 2011 at 12:24 AM, Joseph Sinclair <plug-discussion@stcaz.net> wrote:
well, an IP4 address is just an unsigned int32, and a netmask is just the number of bits to keep...
you could turn the dotted notation into an int32, then mask off the proper bits, then translate back to the dotted notation.

Or you could use Python for the script and use the ip address library in Python[1] to apply the netmask.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/ipaddr-py/

On 10/26/2011 09:49 PM, Dazed_75 wrote:
> I would like to apply a netmask to an arbitrary IP in a bash/dash script
> (e.g. apply 255.255.255.0 to 173.10.3.155 to get 173.10.3.0).  Is there any
> easy way to do that without taking the IP apart, doing 4 operations and
> reassembling the results?

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson