Well unetbootin will image an isolated to usb device. Getting around that. Google will point you fast. Also if you don't want to deal with drive partitioning you can use wubi and install ubuntu to a file in your windows partition. Those are the 2 fastest things I can think of. At work I use a dell latitude 6510 as my main system, if you can afford a dock its a wonderful luxury. But with a modern Os its a great system for work. An important am doing some similar looking for a home solution.