Woot, that worked.  Thanks Ted!  Now I can have global menu on small screens where it is helpful and not on big screens.

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Ted Gould <ted@gould.cx> wrote:
On Wed, 2011-05-04 at 23:35 -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> I am trying to get used to Unity.  The "feature" that probably bothers
> me the most is the Global Menu.  I seldom run any window maximized
> except on my netboot and most often I have more than one window open
> in a given workspace.  So having the menus for an application be
> remote from the window in winch it is running is quite disturbing and
> not in ANY way useful.  There was a way to turn global menus off
> during beta.
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/disable-appmenu-global-menu-in-ubuntu.html but that does not seem to be working on the released natty.
>
> Has anyone found a way to turn off the bloody global menu that still
> works?

That should still work.  But if you want it off on your machine
universally the easiest way is just to uninstall indicator-appmenu.

 $ sudo apt-get remove indicator-appmenu

               --Ted

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
  - Thomas Jefferson