On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold@obnosis.com> wrote:

On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 5:59 PM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows@usa.net> wrote:
From: Lisa Kachold <lisakachold@obnosis.com>
> On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Mark Phillips wrote:
>> and it still beeps.

It's a crapshoot whether there's a volume control on the old speaker
on some machines.  If you know you're not going to use the old
speaker support, you can just rmmod the pcspkr module and then
move that module out of /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ .  I don't even
build that module, but I always build a custom kernel....

> Link UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
> Hmmm, it appears to have an IPv6 address
> (Are you doing teredo tunneling on your network? Nevermind!)

It looks like the 802.11 card's trying to associate with an access
point but is not getting anywhere.  I suppose you could try
"iwconfig eth1" when it's up and reproduce that for us, or see
what you get when you do "ps auxw | grep dhc" which should tell
you whether dhcpcd or dhclient is running on eth1.

Security Moment:
Yes, that's BAD!  It's flapping and evidently he doesn't want it up.
It's better not to have both networks up, unless needed since that allows access more easily for WEP cracking and then sidejacking.
<hack>  Someone could..well, I don't need to describe the bloody situation, it's all there in any autopsy? </hack>
end Security Moment

Debian uses the /etc/sysconfig tree rather than the rc.d.

So the solution is simply configuring the rest of the networking configs:

Sounds like a great plan....errr....I don't have an /etc/sysconfig  and I can't find any ifcfg-eth1 or eth0 on my system.

narwhale:/home/mark# ls /etc/sys*
/etc/sysctl.conf  /etc/syslog.conf

/etc/sysctl.d:

narwhale:/home/mark# locate ifcfg
narwhale:/home/mark#

Perhaps Debian testing puts this in another location?

Thanks!

Mark

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/editing-ifcfg-eth0-320457/ format the ifcfg-eth0

  Setup the interface up configuration file in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
  nkeever is offline
nkeever
View LQ Blog
View Bookmarks
View Review Entries
View HCL Entries

Copy the original settings to backup file and make the changes below.
Don't forget to restart networking after making the changes.

# cat /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=no
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
USERCTL=no
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
IPV6INIT=no

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=none
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
IPADDR=10.0.0.1
USERCTL=yes
PEERDNS=yes
TYPE=Ethernet
IPV6INIT=no

You want onboot no and ipv6init no, as well as userctl per your use.

DEVICE=eth1
IPADDR=192.168.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.255
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
BROADCAST=192.255.255.255
ONBOOT=no
NAME=eth1

--