Remember back when Billy said "640K is more memory than anyone will ever need"  ?

For those of us that do, it really DID seem like a lot.  You could fit your ENTIRE program in memory.  Why would you need such a thing?

I'm gonna save this thread for 20 years from now I can add it to the Bill Gates quote and that one in popular science about computers fitting in a room.

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:58 PM, Ryan Rix <phrkonaleash@gmail.com> wrote:
Jim March wrote:

>>>To put things back on firm earth and on-topicness... Why on earth would
> Linus even waste his time on trying to get this much memory addressed in
> the kernel? What is the rational behind it, besides being a publicity
> stunt?<<
>
> It ensures Linux maintains dominance in supercomputing, and yeah, that
> IS a publicity stunt...but what's wrong with that as long as it
> doesn't hurt lesser systems?

I didn't say it was wrong at all. I just think it's a little unnecessary.

--
Ryan Rix
(623)-826-0051

Fortune:
Life -- Love It or Leave It.

http://hackersramblings.wordpress.com | http://twitter.com/phrkonaleash
XMPP: phrkonaleash@gmail.com          | MSN: phrkonaleash@yahoo.com
AIM:  phrkonaleash                    | Yahoo: phrkonaleash
IRC:  PhrkOnLsh@irc.freenode.net/#srcedit,#teensonlinux,#plugaz and
     countless other FOSS channels.

James McPhee
jmcphe@gmail.com