what about out of the box functionality? The user has no idea what a terminal is, let alone a compile script. She uses it to browse the web, check email, look at pics and videos of grandkids, etc. How does the wireless work?

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
On Thu, 2009-05-21 at 14:29 -0700, Eric Cope wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a friend who's mom wants a netbook, probably because its small
> and cute. He asked my recommendation, but I have no experience. Does
> anyone on the list have experience supporting people who know next to
> nothing using a netbook, preferably Linux version?
> Thanks,
----
I have an Acer Aspire One which I bought with 160 Gb HD and had Windows
XP on it. I used a USB flash drive to shrink the WinXP partition down to
32 Gb and for the most part, used the rest of the hard drive and
installed Fedora on it. You can use the 'live' version on a USB key
disk...not sure why someone would do that unless just trying it out.

I also found it necessary to give it a larger virtual screen because the
1024x600 just seemed too small to me so I'm running it at 1280x1024.
Pretty much everything works.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Acer_Aspire_One

and the generic page with links for most of the popular distributions is
at...

http://aspireone.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Craig

believed to be clean.