Have you thought about a private cloud instead? Using something similar to a in house EBS solution you could add space on the fly, aggressively cache for performance, and have it well distributed across your campuses.  In addition I believe Ubuntu 9.4 Server even comes preconfigured with Eucalyptus, or something similar, which should make it a nearly turn key solution. Just another option to think of.

http://eucalyptus.cs.ucsb.edu/

However, make sure you keep in mind that you will still want off site data backups, which can potential double your total storage costs.

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 2:02 PM, Stephen <cryptworks@gmail.com> wrote:
Not likely to be doing av edits directly but we will need some fair io

The server backend is likely to be a stack of xenservers. The best
part is we will be building the datacenter from scratch

On 4/19/09, Shawn Badger <badger.shawn@gmail.com> wrote:
> You could either go with a NetApp or EMC solution and not make a bad choice
> on either, but be warned that you will be spending over  $100K  to get it up
> and running right. Are you going to be editing the video while it directly
> stored on the SAN or is the SAN just going to be a repository? If you are
> planning on editing directly from the SAN then be sure to get the 15K fibre
> channel drives. You will also want lots of drive to distribute the disk I/O
> across as many spindles as possible. The number of clients attached will
> dictate how many drives you will need. I don't remember the ratio, but if
> you want it I'm sure I could find it.
>

> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Stephen <cryptworks@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> anyone here using a SAN and if so what are they using, maybe some of
>> the points that sold you on it? or i fyou hate it why?
>>
>> it would be nic to have real world thoughts on it instead of all the
>> markey speak...
>>
>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

Sent from my mobile device

Stephen