From: Alex Dean <alex@crackpot.org>
Subject: Re: running a pc fan outside of a case
To: "Main PLUG discussion list" <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>
Date: Friday, September 5, 2008, 10:21 AM
OK.  I have a nice big fan I need to wire up.  I have a few
power bricks
lying around I could use, and I need some advice about
which to pick.

Fan : 12V. 3 speed. 0.24A/0.2A/0.13A
http://www.antec.com/pdf/manuals/tricool_install.html

Power supplies available :
1. 12V, 1000mA
2. 12V, 600mA

Both of these seem a little underpowered.  Will that just
make the fan
spin slower, or do I really need to get a 12V,0.24A power
supply from
somewhere?  I could also go back and buy a smaller fan.

alex

fouldragon@aol.com wrote:

The most you can reliably get out of a USB port is

500mA.

Typical fan draw varies wildly by size and performance

level.

100-200mA  at 12 volts is typical for 80/92/120mm

"PC case" fans, but

then there are a few rated as high as 900mA at 12

volts.  Of course,

the 5v versions will draw more current for an

equivalent performance

level.

From: plug-discuss-bounces@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-bounces@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]

On Behalf=2

0Of Eric
Cope

Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 3:14 PM

To: Main PLUG discussion list

exactly. Get a 5V DC supply and
solder it to the power lead on the fan. At 5 volts the

fan will be

slower and
quieter. If you need more air movement, get a 12V DC

supply. The fan

will move
faster, but be louder.

Depending on your notebook, you may have some fun

experimenting with

heat
pipes...

Eric

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Alex Dean

<alex@crackpot.org> wrote:

Eric Cope wrote:

Outside of that, some solder, a wall wart, and a

4-5" PC

fan would make a great air mover...

But given you lack of hardware knowledge, go with the

above

recommendations.

well, i do know how to solder.  just haven't done
anything inside a pc case since i was in highschool,

and have never

attempted
to do anything with a power supply.  but wiring a fan

to a power brick i

could do...

a wall wart is one of those bricks that take up all

the space on the

power
strip, right?