On 1/30/08, David <david@damnetwork.net> wrote:

----- "Joshua Zeidner" <jjzeidner@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sure Gentoo is loads of fun if you're a hobbiest of some kind,
> but I doubt it will gain any serious traction in the corporate realm.
> So if your goal is marketable skills, Gentoo is clearly not the the
> way to go.  Configurability can sometimes be a minus, as it adds to
> the number of variables that need to be managed = cost++ = ROI--.  If
> anyone knows of any specialty niches for Gentoo in the corporate
> arena, I'd be interested to know.
>
>   -jmz

Speaking only of the 'marketable skills' aspect, I disagree.   When we are interviewing
potential new linux people, I prefer one who has gentoo experience.   Specifically
because of what you need to go through to get it installed and working.

Amen.  I learned *tons* by keeping a Gentoo box going.  Now, I use (x|k|ed)?ubuntu almost exclusively.   I love that I can install a package in less than 3 hours, but there is a down side to that too: I'm more detached, disconnected, and sheltered from my machines' inner thoughts. ;-)

Only if there were more hours in a day....