TO ALL,
Nearly 24 hours now and my original message has still not shown up.  I would now like someone to reply to it and I will confirm that it then does show up with the reply(s).

Dan,
Yes I know the conversation handling is a gmail feature.  And it may well be that it it responsible for the inconsistent timing of "updating the conversation" when I was sending all those replies.It could also be timing of the list sending updates out.  Doesn't really matter.  The only reason I commented on it was that the inconsistent timing made a liar out of me and I needed to fess up that it DID update the conversation for my own replies some of the time.

Alex,
Been there - done that.  Both a year or so ago and yesterday.  Sorry if my messages did not convey that to you.  I thought I had said so, but maybe that was in my private email to Alan.

Alan,
Ya got me pal :)  I really do not know.  Clearly I am not getting that first echo.  On the other hand I am using web access to gmail.  Were I using a normal email client I could have set the client to place a copy of my original emails in my inbox and for it to display threads/conversations. I don't suppose you are doing anything like that?

On 6/13/07, Alan Dayley <alandd@consultpros.com> wrote:
Dazed_75 wrote:
> BTW, my reply to Darrin's message showed up immediately.  My thinking is
> that the option in the discussion list has a boundary condition on
> messages so the zeroth message is not echoed to the sender even though
> it is sent to the member list except for the originator.  Subsequent
> messages (1-n) do get sent and work properly for the echo to originator.

I find this experiment somewhat interesting but am quite puzzled by the
described behavior.

I have been a subscriber to this list since spring of 2000.  I have
always received a copy of my "zeroth" message.  I have even, as I
recall, started a new thread for which no one has replied but I still
got a "from the list server" copy of that first email.

I do not doubt your experience but I don't understand why it is
different if the software and settings are the same.

Alan

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss