My source is Josh Benaloh from the University of Washington.  He teaches a class called Practical Aspects of Modern Cryptography.

Bruces book is famous among crypto geeks for delaying the discovery of MD5 collisions.

Josh talks about it in this lecture.
http://www.cs.washington.edu/education/courses/csep590/06wi/lectures/asx/csep590tu_1.asx

Its about 8 or 9 minutes into the lecture.

-Matt

On 4/16/07, David Bendit <DarkElf109@ibendit.com> wrote:

Do you have any sources that backup that claim? Not that I'm trying to
be accusatory, but I've seen many, many references to Applied
Cryptography as the go-to book for crypto intro. I haven't read it yet,
but I plan to as soon as I get through my current stack (darn Peter
Watts and his great writing!). Though, if it's as inaccurate as you
claim, I might just go for your other recommendations.

- -David

Matt Nesteruk wrote:
> I would stay away from that book.  By purpose or mistake, not all of the
> information int that book is correct.  If you are looking for a good
> intro crypto book check out this one
>
> Handbook of Applied Cryptography
> by Alfred J. Menezes, Paul C. van Oorschot and Scott A. Vanstone
>
> The authors have created this site.
> http://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/hac/
>
> That's the real deal!
>

> On the other hand bruce co-authored another book "Practical
> Cryptography" by Niels Ferguson and Bruce Schneier.
> Its good.
>
> If you are looking for a fun cryptology history lesson, read "The Code
> Book" by Simon Singh.
> Its an easy read.
>
> As with all Cryptology books that are printed in the US, stay away from
> any overseas editions.
>

> Enjoy
> -Matt
>
> On 4/15/07, * Ray Cantwell* < hacktavist@cox.net
> <mailto:hacktavist@cox.net>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>     Does any one have a copy of "Applied Cryptogrophy" by Bruce Schneier? I
>     have been hearing good things about it but, i am strapped for cash right
>     now, and i have been unable to locate it at the library, if you know
>     where i can get one on the cheap that would be great.
>     Thanks,
>     Ray

- --
v2sw5+7Yhw5ln4pr7Ock6ma4u6+7Lw3+1Xm3l6/7DiCe3+7t4TNMAb6HOAen6/7g7RATHCMHPa17r2/5p9
hackerkey.com

Linux User #385258

PGP Key Available At: http://www.ibendit.com/pubkey.asc