On 4/6/07, Jim <arizona.anorak@gmail.com> wrote:
vodhner@cox.net wrote:
> I asked a guy at Data Doctors about AzSTRUT, which accepts
> any kind of old electronics.  He said STRUT has someone who
> really does "the right thing" with the waste stuff.  I didn't pursue
> it, but he sounded really sure that that was part of STRUT's
> mission and they took it seriously.

I read someplace that there's enough gold in a computer that some
companies are "mining" old computer parts.

--

You might want to look at http://www.azstrut.org for some information.  There is no good information there about what is done with hardware which is no longer reusable and I have sent an email to Ken about that.  In fact, they send stuff the program cannot use to West-Tech for proper recycling and West-Tech pays AZStRUT for it so even junk is useful to the program.

Yes, there are companies that mine metals, such as gold, from old electronic parts and I am sure West-Tech does that.  It is what makes green recycling profitable.  In this case, some of that pays a small part of the cost of operating AZStRUT.  But I don't think that is the kind of mining you were referring to.

"That income tax you know it's nothing more than legal robbery"
Sidney "Pa" Larkin

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss