On 3/20/07, Josef Lowder <joe@actionline.com> wrote:
.
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007, der.hans wrote
> I'm trying to emphasize Free as in Freedom whenever I say Free
> Software, therefore I want another phrase for no cost ...

The real meaning of the word "free" ...

Dictionary.com lists 22 entries for the word "free,"
the first of which lists 49 separate meanings. A review
of the abbreviated essence of each is illuminating.

One of my pet peeves [...snip...]

(Note: "without cost" is way down the list at #36.)

1. [...snip...]
    (see parent post for detailed list...)

In general I agree with you, your point is well taken.
However, in the nano nitpick sense,

> (Note: "without cost" is way down the list at #36.)

seems to be a bit of an exaggeration, since 11 and 12:
> 11. not subject to a charge or payment: free parking or a free sample
> 12. given without expectation of return or reward, as in free advice
have a similar meaning to
> 36. without cost, payment, or charge
, and they [11 & 12] are only a small (small to medium)
fraction of the way down the list.
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ