OK, thanks, but it was also (according to "Kevin Brown")
<kevin_brown@qwest.net>, that
<< "Unlike Yahoo or Google, you don't need to have Net access to get the
information... " >>
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ

On 3/16/07, Dazed_75 <lthielster@gmail.com> wrote:
Mike, they are talking about using GPS to do live updates on the map.  the directions can change in =real time if you miss a turn or find a highway under construction.  That is what is different.

On 3/15/07, Mike Schwartz <mike.l.schwartz@gmail.com> wrote:
On 3/14/07, Kevin Brown <kevin_brown@qwest.net> wrote:
 |  (( Nathan Aubrey <nathan@paysonlinux.org> had written ))
> Someone was telling me about Microsoft Streets & Trips and it comes with a
> cheap GPS deal. Obviously Streets & Trips won't run in Linux, but it got me
> wondering. Does anyone use any kind of GPS software in Linux with a GPS
> device? What do you use?

GPSDrive and Roadmap have come a ways since I first installed them.
Roadmap takes advantage of the of the TIGER data provided free from the
US Census Bureau.  Both GPSDrive and Roadmap also have a means of
importing data from http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page.
Neither of them have full navigation support ( e.g. enter start and end
points and they show you how to get there), but both are working on it
as a major must-have goal.

Am I missing something here?  How is
> enter start and end
> points and they show you how to get there
any different from what "Yahoo Maps"
(and, I presume, Mapquest, and others)
have been offering for years?
Are you perhaps talking about being able to
> enter start and end
> points [...]
by specifying the Lat/Lon, instead of the address?
I guess that would be different...
--
Mike Schwartz
Glendale  AZ