Thanks for the info.  I'd be happy with 4.7G.  That would be a lot of room for me!

"Eric \"Shubes\"" <plug@shubes.net> wrote:
keith smith wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I bought a dell to convert to a LAMP development box and it came with a
> NEC DVD+-RW.
>
> I was looking for DVD's and found DVD+RW and DVD-RW. Seems most were
> 4.7Gig.
> I was thinking a DVD would hold around 8Gig.

Dual layer is 8G.

> What I would like to do is formate the blank DVD disks and use them to
> do backups. I used to do this with rewritable CD's. Formating would
> actually put a file system on them and they would act like a floppy.
>
> I'm not sure which DVD's to buy that would be compatible with my drive
> and be able to format to work like a floppy or zip disk.

I don't think it would matter, as your drive apparently handles either (+/-).

I don't know how dual layer relates to +/- and RW though. I expect that
someone here will clarify this.

--
-Eric 'shubes'