Which distribution are you using?  Debian or Ubuntu (or Ubuntu derivative)?

If you are using Ubuntu, you have to add the user, cups (or cupsys) to the shadow group and then restart CUPS.

Debian should allow you to use the root account.

bmike101@cox.net wrote:
I jumped the gun. Sorry.

I entered that suggested driver and then it asked me for the model of my
printer and there it was. But now it is asking me for a username and password
for 'CUPS at localhost.localdomain' and it isn't root's password. So what is
it; would someone let me know?

On Friday 22 December 2006 6:55 pm, Michael Havens wrote:

At local host:631 in the screen 'Device for <title>' there is a selection
under device which is hp:/par/DESKJET_930C.....' My printer is a 932C. I
was thinking that it automagicly detected it and is suggesting a driver
that might work. Is this the case? If it isn't how do I go about getting
the proper driver? (I went to cups.org and looke through all  the Ds
(deskjet) and HPs (hewlett packard)) Strange thing was that not evev the
suggested driver was there.

Open to suggestions.

On Friday 22 December 2006 7:43 am, chip33az@netscape.net wrote:

Thursday 21 December 2006 4:46 pm, saw the creation of:

From: chip33az@netscape.net
To: "Main PLUG discussion list"
<plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us> Cc:
Subject: Re: printer
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:45:12 -0700

  I don't know.  I typically add printers via the CUPS interface ( in
the browser goto localhost:631 ).

When I added the packages below, I get a long listing of the printers.
Make sure you stop/stop CUPS after adding the packages.

 I did restart CUPS. It appears that localhost.... and
kaddprinterwizard are merely frontends of the same thing because both
of them listed the same DESKJET printers as available. Those printers
are the 1500, the 1020, 1005, and the 1000.

Perhaps I restarted it wrong....
        killall cupsd
        cupsd

I would just install all ppd files you see in synaptic.  The two that I
have installed on mine are - foomatic-filters-ppds and hpijs-ppds.  I
also have foomatic-filters and hpijs installed (along with the HPLIP
since I do scanning with mine).