Thanks JT, that is better coverage of design goals and limits for edgy than I had seen.  It seems very much a pre-implementation document rather than a practical guide to understanding the actual implementation.

So I am still seeking that (not very vigorously I should add).  One thing I wonder about which was not discussed there was what measures might be needed to support debugging the more dynamic startup, etc sequencing.  Seems to me this would demand much more vigorous logging and almost demand a means of retaining event history from times when the file system is r/o.  That history should be available if startup fails to a console (a possibility the article mentioned) and should be the first thing written and purged once the file system is r/w.  Oops, getting in over my head again.

On 10/27/06, JT Moree <moreejt@pcxperience.com> wrote:

believed to be clean.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss