Mike,

  There are a number of minor projects of this nature ie. http://www.mnogosearch.org .

  Lucene is the dominant OSS indexer.  The only thing I could imagine would be a problem would be Java, which PHP people seem to avoid like the plague and needlessly FUD.  In addition, Java usually introduces a minor( if not negligible ) hosting cost.

  re: Hadoop, I'm not sure if you want to use that on its own, its a file system that is optimized for large volumes and I believe it has distributed capability.

thanks, jmz

On 10/23/06, Mike Garfias <mike@garfias.org> wrote:
Left out Swish-E as well:

http://swish-e.org/

Also consider using the filesystem that grew out of nutch:
http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/