As a longtime Mandrake user (since version 5) I agree that on previous versions, the upgrade process has been error prone and at times completely broken. I have, however, successfully upgraded on multiple machines from 9.2 to 10.1, from 10.1 to 2006 Powerpack, and from 2006 to 2007. The only issues with the last were with the new XGL functionality in 2007 and these were easily solved by running XFdrake.

What version Mandrake are you on? If you are trying to install a new email client, have you looked in the PLF repositories (you can use easyurpmi to configure your sources if your version supports it) for balsa? I am not familiar with balsa, but you may find it there. I also suggest you might try Thunderbird since it is a simple matter to install using the Tarball from Mozilla and you can use the latest version that way.

On 10/16/06, Eric Shubes <plug@shubes.net> wrote:
I agree that yum is very nice. I've even done major upgrades (RH9->CentOS4)
using it.

Vaughn, which version of Mandrake are you using? According to
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7448 , Mandrake 9.2 has it on the
distribution disk in contrib/i586/yum-2.0.1-1mdk.noarch.rpm. See article for
more details.

Stick with it. Once you get yum going, I think you'll love it.

--
-Eric 'shubes'

Donn
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."
-- Dave Barry