On 10/15/06, JT Moree <moreejt@pcxperience.com> wrote:

> 2) Although VLC now shows in an application menu, it does not list as a
> possibility when right clicking on the .ogm files on the DVD.  I realize
> that file associations based on a file extension is a Windows thing, but
> it begs the question of how Linux decides to associate programs suitable
> for opening files and how applications get on a context (right-click)
> menu.  Can anyone point me at something to read (preferably not buying
> any books I do not have)?

Actually, the media file extensions are handled by your window
manager/desktop environment (gnome or Kde most likely)  They work the
same as windows.  Right click on a file and choose properties to work
with the file types or go to a file manager and look in the settings
menu.  In kde it's in the Configure Konqueror menu item under file
Associations.

Before making any change, right clicking the file gave a menu where the selections:
Open with "Movie Player"
Open with ...
<snip>
Properties
After choosing Properties and using the "Open With" tab to add the VLC player and set it as the default, right clicking the file open a menu with the selections:
Open with ...
<snip>
Properties
IOW, giving the appearance there is no default Open with.  Furthermore, the Open With submenu does not show VLC although the Open With tab of Properties DOES still show VLC as the default.  However, double clicking on the file yields the message:
Cannot open go_open-1x01.ogm
The filename "go_open-1x01.ogm" indicates that this file is of type "OGM video". The contents of the file indicate that the file is of type "Ogg Theora video". If you open this file, the file might present a security risk to your system.

Do not open the file unless you created the file yourself, or received the file from a trusted source. To open the file, rename the file to the correct extension for "Ogg Theora video", then open the file normally. Alternatively, use the Open With menu to choose a specific application for the file.
There is no apparent way to determine what is putting out the message though since the only option is to close the window.  Opening the file directly from VLC does still work and if I use the Open With Submenu, select Open with other application and choose VLC, that works.  I also rebooted (easiest way for a novice to be sure everything got the new setting) and re-verified this.

BTW, there do not seem to be any such setting in the gnome file browser (nautilus) that I can find.

The associations are configured similarly to windows in that a given
file extension/type is associated with one or more programs and they can
be prioritized.

Fixing each individual player is more in depth and in my experience has
involved tweaking the settings for each player to look for different
codecs, player engines, etc.

I do agree that this should be easier and that you should NOT have had
to do anything to get an Ogg media file to play on Linux (in spite of my
other post about windows).  The good news is that it will happen.
Slowly each distro will improve to handle these things because they are
all competing with each other for your attention.

You might look for the bug reports on ubuntu.com and see if anyone has
reported this as a problem.  If Ubuntu can't play Shuttleworth's videos
out of the box I'm sure they want to know about it. (seeing as he is the
founder and all)

- --
JT Morée
PC Xperience, Inc.

believed to be clean.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.  - Dr. Seuss