The thing that sticks out to me is this:
"
Exception: Couldn't find suitable VM. Possible invalid dependency string.
 * Unable to determine VM for building from dependencies.
NV_DEPEND: =virtual/jdk-1.4*

"

when I do an "emerge -s jdk", I see that my virtual/jdk application is version 1.5.0 instead of 1.4. I'm currently merging the 1.4.2 version, I'll cross my fingers.

And portage is pretty much the same as compiling from source yourself, except you let USE flags handle the compilation options, and it install things in certain directories, automatically moves plugins to the right places, and, of course, handles dependencies... so any compile errors I see are probably unrelated to portage.

On 10/13/06, Alan Dayley <alandd@consultpros.com> wrote:
On Fri, October 13, 2006 6:33 am, Patrick C wrote:
> For some reason Firefox thinks this is a binary file, but this is the
> output
> of what I see when I try to compile eclipse-sdk:
>
> http://www.robertc.com/pxc/eclipse.errors
>
> I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I think maybe I have the wrong
> version of the sun-jdk.

Warining: Never used emerge or Gentoo so I'm really stumbling in the dark
here.  But...

The last couple of lines says to include the following in your bug report:
GENTOO_VM=  CLASSPATH="" JAVA_HOME="/opt/sun-jdk-1.5.0.08"
JAVACFLAGS="-source 1.4 -target 1.4" COMPILER=""

Looks like it is refering to the JDK sun-jdk-1.5.0.08.  Which do you need,
do you know?

All the other errors in that huge file say it could not find the right VM.
I think your guess is right but I don't know where to go from there.

Alan