You both make a lot of good points.

I've read tons of good things about  Qmail and PostFix.  I can't recall now but I seem to have read Qmail was top gun.

The problem with Qmail is it is hard to configure.  As it was explained the Toaster can lead Grandma to success.  That is what I need!

I wonder what my hosting provider is going to do if I launch what was explained as a 4 hour compile and I would figure longer on a VPS.

I would like to try the Qmail install because it seems almost simple after looking at the Toaster.

The turn side is do a few yum commands and figure out how to configure PostFix and I'm done in an hour or two.

Any simple PostFix Grandma walk throughs?

Thanks a bunch for all the feed back.
Keith

Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 19:38 -0700, Eric "Shubes" wrote:

> > The packaging restrictions on Qmail are anti-GPL.
>
> Of course they're non-GPL, but anti-GPL? What the heck is anti-GPL? How
> can a license be anti-GPL?
----
clarification - not compatible with GPL, cannot be distributed with GPL
packages.
----

> They are what they are. That's DJB's call. I don't necessarily agree
> with his philosophies, but that doesn't diminish the quality of the
> software.
----
it sort of does in my opinion.
----

> > The mechanics of Qmail
> > don't allow easy integration of really nice mail server add-ons such as
> > greylisting and content scanning (MailScanner comes to mind here).
>
> I wouldn't try to tackle qmail in and of (by) itself, but the qmail
> toaster is pre-integrated with many desirable add-ons, and it's also
> preconfigured and tested. No need to assemble the pieces. That feature
> alone was a significant factor to me.
----
MailScanner is brilliant and it isn't available as part of Qmail or
toaster, nor is greylisting. Heck, greylisting skims 70-95% of the spam
off the top before you ever bother doing SMTP/DNSRBL/virus/spam checks
and considerably lightens the mail load.

Craig

http://mail.yahoo.com