Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 06:01:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: KE7FEG <eculbert@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 56K Modem War Stories
To: Main PLUG discussion list <plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>

As I understand it, if it is a 'winmodem' internal ---
skip it. Internals need their own guts, not using the
cpu sharing thingy.

Externals don't share stuff with the OS soooo, they
just have the guts to run.

There ARE some internal modems that have the same guts
as the externals, USR has some. They are the
'expensive'er' models..around $50 and up, instead of
under $25 new.

I think it is USR's 'business class' courier modems
but don't quote me on internals...always used
externals/linux.

--- "Patrick Fleming, EA" <plug@rwcinc.net> wrote:

I like Best Data modems. External serial and have
worked with everything
I ran. I picked mine up at Office Max.

http://bestdata.com/index.php?file=c-all56k&iCategoryId=10

George wrote:

I needing a good Linux friendly (Debian - Xandros)

56K modem.  Any

good/bad stories (make model) I need to know

about?

TIA