Run sax2 logged in as root.  There should be an option in there to set whether the display manager is on or not by default at boot.

SuSE moves default settings in /etc around a bit more compared to other distros, but a possible alternative is to look for something similar to the following information in the file /etc/inittab (this example is not from a SuSE box, though it might look exactly the same, at least the instructions if not the actual config line itself also; NOTE: edit this file only if sax2 and yast - mentioned below - don't give you the option to make this change; SuSE almost seems to punish a user who forgoes the GUI/TUI route without knowing very well how SuSE changed the locations of things in /etc and /etc/sysconfig/*):
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:5:initdefault:

SuSE's default runlevel line might look different than the above, but the import part of it is the numeric value after 'id:'.  If this is set to '3', change it to '5', as explained in the file just above the line.  NOTE: There may be a default in SuSE's config files managed by sax2.  BTW earlier versions of SuSE included a TUI yast you can also run as root in text mode.  Type yast (and hit the tab key twice, to see if the *real* command to use is yast2; its been a while since I've had to this from command line, back to version 8.2 at least) ONLY IF the answer does not lie with sax2.

PS: To work in X, use startx to start X from runlevel 3

--
-------
Ben

On 9/25/05, Bupkus <bupkus2@cox.net> wrote:
Bupkus wrote:

> Doesn't system detect hardware at boot?  Shouldn't Control
> Center>Peripherals>Display provide a "Screen size" option in the
> drop-down that reflects the sensed monitor capabilities?

I ran xf86config and now it only boots into text mode.  Just as in the
past with older versions of linux, whenever I'm in a corner and unable
to make what should be simple adjustments, I end up re-installing the
OS.  This is why I have backed away from linux so many times over the
years .