Subject: Re: Open Source Tech support
From: Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com>
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:33:52 -0700

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 14:35, Phil Mattison wrote:
> <snip>
> Anyways, I will also point out that this sounds very similar to the
> service I got from Compaq before there were even any rumours about the
> acquisition by HP. Sounds like they didn't fire the Compaq personnel,
> their own disgrace.
> I would just like to caution everyone against buying any Compaq
> laptop.
> I've had to fix 4 recently, all suffering from different ailments but
> probably caused by the shoddy workmanship I witnessed in each.
> </snip>

> I'll second that. Some time ago I attempted to reformat the hard drive
> in a Compaq machine and discovered to my horror that the boot sector
> contained certain BIOS-level information, and the machine couldn't
> be restarted until reformatted with their special utility. I decided
> then
> never to buy another Compaq. Now that HP is infected with Compaq,
> I'll never buy an HP machine either. Besides, I have yet to see a
> ready-
> made PC that can deliver better value than a shopping cart full of
> parts.
> Though I have to admit Dell comes pretty close.
----
The problem with this is that one bad experience goes a long way towards
shaping our impressions.
----
Actually it was two bad experiences with Compaq and one with HP.
I only mentioned one in the interest of brevity. I guess we all have
our own limits on turning the other cheek.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.