If it was me I would look for a distribution that had newer bits (Samba & etc)
than CentOS5.4

Perhaps OpenSuSE-11.2 or similar.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean Parsons
Sent: Jan 31, 2010 12:11 PM
To: 'Main PLUG discussion list'
Subject: Project Update

Since, so many wanted my project to be posted for the benefit of all, I’ll start be defining what our first steps are going to be. I had an opportunity to sit down and discuss my goals and get some advice, so this is how we have decided to proceed:

                Goal: Build as much functionality based on Linux into an existing Microsoft SBS 2003 network to provide redundancy and eventually alternatives to future Microsoft products.

Justification:  I would like to avoid having to replace infrastructure because Microsoft has decided I need to upgrade. I would like to make those choices based upon our needs and current usage.

                Phase 1 - Tasks

1.       Since Small Business Server 2003 is the critical piece and has the most requirement.  I will be building a dedicated test box with full functionality to be part of the sandbox. It will have the OS, Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, and a simple 3 user domain. This will be loaded on a Dell Power Edge 850 with 3GB Ram and dual 250GB hard drives mirrored to raid 1. I’ll use a single NIC.

2.       I will be loading CentOS V5.4 on a Dell Optiplex GX270, Samba will be loaded on this platform. System has 512Mb RAM and 80GB hard drive.

3.       I will be loading CentOS V5.4 on a Dell Optiplex GX270, QmailToaster will be loaded on this platform. System has 512Mb RAM and 80GB hard drive.

4.       A 24 port 1Gb Ethernet switch will be allocated for this test environment.

5.       A loaned IPCop router will serve as gateway and will be assigned a static IP for access.

Phase 1 – Goal

Build a simple but functional network containing the elements necessary to demonstrate proof of concept for this project.

                Timeframe

I expect a week or so to get these systems operational and then begin the process of consolidating into a single network and configuring services for use.

                Personally, I have the challenge of loading CentOS for the first time, done Ubuntu, Debian Sarge and Mandrake/Mandriva a long time ago…… but this one is new to me and I’ll have to do it CLI….so might be fun. So got some reading to do about the OS and how to install/update it.

I’ll post more, as I make progress.

Sean Parsons