From what I've read, even though ext4 has been added to the Linux kernel, it's still in kind of in beta. It's stable enough to use, but probably not ready for the server farms just yet. I've also read that you can move from ext3 to ext4 without losing any data, but I don't know about the "lost features" you suffer from doing so.

If it's just a machine you run and your data on it isn't super important, I'd say give it a spin. If it's a machine and data you find extremely valuable, I'd look up how to set up an ext3 drive in order to best prepare yourself for an upgrade down the road. For instance, I read that a ext4 requires an inode size of 256 (should be the default in 2.6.10+ kernels), so setting your ext3 partition up with that parameter (and I'm sure others as well) may make it easy to migrate in the future (though the conversion is supposed to take care of this for you).

-Joe

bmike1 wrote:
which still leaves the question.... is it worth the trouble? what are "extends" that would make it worth it? why does it make it worth it? what are some other features and why do they make it worth it? after a fews discussions someone can write a review and submit it to 'linux journal' or something like that. I'll do it if no one volunteers!

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 8:28 PM, Francis Earl <francis.earl@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thursday 05 February 2009 5:04:51 Jon M. Hanson wrote:
> I don't think you have to wipe your hard drive to go from ext3 to
> ext4. I think there us an in-place conversion method.

While this is technically true, you actually miss out on some features - for
instance extends - when you don't format as EXT4.