So, I opened the gnome volume control and found that the master volume and pci(?) volume where both a little low. I increased both. The second one, which I think was labeled pci, creates distortion if I increase it too much.

Anyway, it's much better. Fedora still needs to improve the sound system. At least its much better than FC4 when I had to compile ALSA to get it to work on my lappy.

Now to figure out VMWare.

-j