Another way to get the HTML side down (at least it has workd for me) is the W3C validator. I use the Firefox Extension 'Checky'. After a couple of site builds with errors, complient code becomes second nature. CSS is great but different browsers do display differently with IE being the most PITA. I code on Linux and use Firefox/Mozilla for most tests. Opera and FF/Moz is pretty much the same across all OS'es. Konqurer displays pretty much like Safari (althoug I do have a Mac and test with Safari) I have a hard time testing against IE so I have to visit the in-laws to do that. I do have access to a Win2K server but IE6 on Win2K renders different that IE6 on WinXP. I wish MS would sell the $50 lite windows version here in the states. I use this in most of my CSS (tables, rarely-used, are used for corporate data) body { margin: 0px;} img { border: 0px;} /* for images that are links */ table, td {padding: 0px;border-spacing: 0px;border-collapse:collapse;} /* If tables are used */ Alexander Henry wrote: > On Sat, 28 May 2005 18:45:11 -0700, Siri Amrit Kaur > wrote: > >> "Integrated HTML and CSS: A Smarter, Faster Way to Learn" >> http://www.bookpool.com/sm/0782143784 >> >> It seems like a sane way for me to learn CSS. >> >> Siri Amrit > > >

> I started out with the standard O'reilly books.  They were a great
> starter, but at a point very misleading.  It's almost as if they
> deliberatly chose tutorial language that makes you write
> CSS-compliant  code which only works on CSS-compliant browsers, and
> hardens your brain so  you can't learn how to write CSS-compliant code
> for all browsers!
>
> Specifically:
>
> When learning padding, border, and margins.  It tells you the W3C
> compliant way in-depth.  Then there's a small note at the bottom of
> the  chapter saying IE calculates them differently.  If you declare a
> width, it  is taken as width with padding, and margin is ignored,
> while in CSS the  real "width" of the box is the sum of all, width,
> padding, and margin.
>
> Also, position is calculated differently in different browsers, if you
> set  it away from defaults.
>
> Later on in the book, it gives you tricks to "hide" stuff from IE.
>
> body > div {
> #Style rules IE won't see
> }
>
> So I'm coding along trying to do all these highly complicated
> calculations  and re-definitions for all the browsers, and in the end
> it is of course  still not rendered the same, and it's hell to debug.
>
> REAL SOLUTION:
>
> div {
> padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
> margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
> border-width: 0px 0px 0px 0px;
> }
>
> DONE!!
>
> IGNORE POSITION COMPLETELY!  Keep it at default.
>
> When defining "layout" structure, only use width, float, and clear to
> control where you want stuff.  Then, for the elements INSIDE these
> layout  boxes, define margin and padding.  For some designs, that
> means you'll  need two divs, one nested right inside another, to get
> your desired  result.  So mote it be.  This is much easier than the
> alternatives.
>
> For example, in the image directory thingie I have,
> http://newclient.ahtechllc.com/Products/ , you'll see that each line
> is  wrapped in a
. Everything works fine > without these line-divs on all browsers except IE6 on Mac. It seems > to be doing Japanese, going top-bottom first then left-right to > determine the location of the next left-to-right line element. So > the uneven paragraphs made the positioning unpredectable. It was > also unpredictable when the image height was not the same for all > images in other browsers. So the wrapper div was the solution. > Moderate-heavy glitch, easy fix. > >