The only line I was missing was the AddModule line. I have added it but I still have the same problem. File with a .php3, or .php4, extension run just fine. Files with a .php extension will only download. This would lead me to think that the problem is in the AddType but I do not see what I am missing. Is there anything else that might be causing the problem? David -----Original Message----- From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us [mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Ric Fischer Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 10:43 PM To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us Subject: Re: Apache, PHP, and PHPGroupware Hi David, In my httpd.conf, I have: LoadModule php4_module libexec/libphp4.so AddModule mod_php4.c AddType application/x-httpd-php .php AddType application/x-httpd-php .php4 AddType application/x-httpd-php .php3 AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps AddType application/x-httpd-php .phtml DirectoryIndex index.html index.wml index.cgi index.shtml index.jsp index.js index.jp index.php4 index.php3 index.php index.phtml index.htm default.htm default.html home.htm The DirectoryIndex lines above should all be one line. These are all the lines in my httpd.conf that have the letters 'php' in them. Try adding them in the appropriate areas. Specifically, your problem is a MIME type identification problem. By default, if the server doesn't know what the 'type' is for the file it is serving, it'll send a generic MIME type to the browser (IIRC, it'll send it as "application/octet-stream"), which then ends up starting a download. So, the AddType takes care of the MIME type issue. Of course, it first needs to know about the PHP module, so that's what the lines above the AddTypes take care of. By the way, you might need to learn about compiling your Apache with PHP. I've never done it, but I believe there are two ways Apache can handle PHP files: one is where it's compiled in and it is less of a server load to do this, the other is to 'call' it externally. I'd suggest visiting the PHP site[1] and learning about installing PHP with Apache so you can make a conscious decision about how you want it on your server. Good luck! [1] http://www.php.net/ -- Ric Fischer On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 15:47:43 -0700, David Demland wrote: > I removed PHP 3 and PHPGroupware. I installed PHP4 from the Debian package, > then I was going to go the install one of the groupware software. After > installing PHP 4 I still can not call up a PHP file from the browser. All > the browser does is prompt to save the file. The PHP file looks like: > > > > PHP Test > > > >

PHP Test

> An Example of PHP in Action
> "; > echo date("g:i A l, F j Y.");?> >

PHP Information