--0-715263948-1064511253=:64053 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii The headlines read "Keith goes to jail for trying to update his cell phone calendar by using Linux - Hackers strike again!" Ted Gould wrote: On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 20:48, keith smith wrote: > I've been wondering how one goes about developing a program which > would connect to a cell phone file system. Well, the problem is that the protocol is undocumented. So, you'd need to figure out how the phone communicates with the computer. Probably what happens is that the computer sends a special command to change the mode that the cell phone is in - and then uses some other protocol to communicate with it. Now, the trick is to figure out what that is. So what you really need is something that will communicate with the phone in the proper way (like the Windows software) and then a way to watch what is going across the USB link (or serial if that's the cable you have). Actually, the serial cable would probably be easier. If you took the RX and the TX lines from the serial cable and then pulled them into the RX ports of two serial ports - you could see all the data. You'd need two computers and enjoy spending your evenings with a hex editor ;) BTW: I must say that this may or may not be illegal under the DMCA - this is reverse engineering an undocumented protocol - it may be considered breaking a protected system. I personally think that it should not be - and I really don't want to turn this thread into a discussion of this issue - but I think you should know before you start so that you can make your own decision. --Ted > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/pgp-signature name=signature.asc --------------------------------- Do you Yahoo!? The New Yahoo! Shopping - with improved product search --0-715263948-1064511253=:64053 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii