[Plug-security] September Hackfest = Bugs and Surveillance +

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Sep 10 17:43:52 MST 2014

September Hackfest = Citizen Surveillance

We will have all the regular features during the practical Hackfest
including VMWare targets in a variety of exploitable daemons and protocols
and the Demland Dummy Drill (answer questions from the audience for prizes
and awards) and of course the "News".

We will have a short Presentation on the state of surveillance technology
to prepare everyone for the additional "lab" where we do a complete OSI
Layer 1 Detection session for surveillance equipment or "bugs".

NOTE:  This is a public lab with focus on security tools, testing and
protection from cyber security threats.  We will therefore, confine our
discussion to technical subjects and politics will NOT be discussed until
after the hackfest.

 New York Times Reality of Surveillance
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/s/surveillance_of_citizens_by_government/index.html>

We will examine the ramifications of security attacks spanning multiple OSI
layers and the challenges of  remediation.
OSI Security
<http://security-today.com/articles/2014/03/04/the-osi-model-and-physical-security.aspx>

Bug infestations can be extremely hard to identify, find, determine source
and defend from.  Usually the source of the surveillance has unlimited
resources and the ability to change equipment quickly; which requires
daddtonn

There are many reasons for federal investigative focus on American
citizens.  Defensive action and invesais generally  unavailable from
Department of Home Security or EFF  provide no recourse for determine "why"
or defend oneself from.

We will be discussing covert surveillance, bugs and bugging, cameras,
PCS/GPS/CDMA, protection from surveillance.

As part of our ongoing security labs and presentations, we will be delving
into the wonderfully scary world of  cellulast GSM or CDS="wireless"
surveillance.

On Saturday at 1:30pm  directly following the regular Hackfest at DeVry
University we will caravan to an actual physical site and do a walk through
utilizing full OSI Layer security vector check for signs of surveillance.
 Where signals are available we will proceed to isolate transmitting
equipment.

We will be demonstrating the use of the following equipment:

Protect 1203 Scanner: Range 30MHz to 4GHz

1 x Adjustable 3G 4G Cell Phone Signal Blocker + Wifi Jammer - 40 Meters

1 x GSM CDMA DCS PHS 3G Cell Phone Signal Jammer

--

(503) 754-4452
(623) 239-3392

Chief Clown