[Plug-security] & The Beat Goes On

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Wed Sep 25 17:45:56 MST 2013

More fun (although I have reported all these attempts to each of the
technical contacts for each of the swip'd IP addresses.

But if we were going to attempt to exploit this hacker's domain (although
we know it is illegal and there are consequences) we would use any of the
following:

SSH exploits - brute force dictionary attacks (examples:
http://it-clowns.com/c/files/drawer/augusthackfest-ssh.txt )
Metasploit/Armitage which should allow us to automatically pwn this system.

root at fly-obnosis-com asil]# nmap 14.139.229.42

Starting Nmap 6.25 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2013-09-25 17:16 MST
Nmap scan report for 14.139.229.42
Host is up (0.34s latency).
Not shown: 993 closed ports
PORT     STATE    SERVICE
22/tcp   open     ssh
25/tcp   filtered smtp
135/tcp  filtered msrpc
139/tcp  filtered netbios-ssn
445/tcp  filtered microsoft-ds
1666/tcp open     netview-aix-6
5989/tcp open     wbem-https

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 26.54 seconds
[root at fly-obnosis-com asil]#

What is the commonality of all of these systems?

Unpatched daemons open running without adequate controls and protections:

source and destination port based iptables
denyhosts
known exploitable systems ports open (135-139-445)