[Plug-security] Name based Virtual hosting

Lowell Hamilton plug-security@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:35:23 -0700

Apache must be able to resolve the name to an ip address it is listening
on ... To make that happen, put the site names in the /etc/hosts file
pointing to the local address:

So if your apache sites are on 192.168.1.6 and 7:
put in /etc/hosts:
192.168.1.6  www.domain1.com
192.168.1.7  www.domain2.com

This is a good idea for all virtual hosting in case the webserver cannot
reach the DNS for some reason, although it does require additional work
if a site changes ip's

--
Lowell Hamilton, Omnipotent Ubergeek