[Plug-security] Once cracked

David A. Sinck plug-security@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 22:26:31 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Craig White on 9/9/2001 11:41 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Assuming that you didn't use tripwire, on a system that uses rpm
\_ (Mandrake - RedHat) - you can try rpm -Va which should list all [...]

One of these hypothetical days, I'm going to take the best of breed
rootkits (loadable kernel modules, trojans, etc) and make a nice RPM
of all of them, so you can easily see if your rootkit is up-to-date
without effort.

rpm -Va rootkit

Which I would suppose be shortly followed by

rpm -Va script-kiddie

The loadable kernel modules are really scary as a compromise.  If you
can't trust the kernel, who can you trust?

David