[Plug-security] Once cracked

foodog plug-security@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 08 Sep 2001 21:38:28 -0700

Carl Parrish wrote:

> Okay I have reason to belive I've been cracked I'm going to completly
> wipe the drive. it this was you would you bother to make a backup copy
> of your home dir or would you assume its be comprimised as well?
>
> Carl P.

I'd keep a tar archive of /home on general priciples - if you've got
binaries there you can verify them after rebuilding to be safe.

What is it that makes you think you've been compromised?  One other
thought:  Assuming you're right, I'd want to know *how* they got in
before rebuilding to make sure that the same door isn't still available
post-rebuild.

Good luck,
Steve