[Plug-security] Code Red Traffic

foodog plug-security@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 03 Oct 2001 04:17:15 -0700

I (conveniently) assume that if boxes are still infected with Code Red
and/or Nimda they don't have an administrator.  I believe kiddies will
eventually convert most of the laggards into warez and IRC servers, at
which point they'll have an administrator of sorts. :-/

Most of the hits I get now are from universities in Taiwan, YSMV (your
subnet may vary).  If it's from a node within walking distance I pay
them a visit, but it's been a couple of weeks since that happened.  I
keep those encounters brief:

  "Hi, you have xx.xx.xx.xx in here?  It's infected with <current
plague>.
  You need to unplug it now, until it gets disinfected and patched.
Thanks! <smile>."

  <stand there until the network cable comes out; final friendly wave>

Steve