[Plug-security] How many Subscribers

Rusty Carruth rustyc@inficad.com
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 18:35:34 -0700

"Gorman, John" wrote:

> I am here.

Ditto.  I had a real scare today.  I was logged in as root, doing a bunch
of stuff....  setting up samba, nfs, fun things like that.

I locked my screen, went away, and when I tried to get back in, my
root password did not work!  Panic time!  Who broke in to my machine!
(considering how hard I'm trying to be sure its secure, this was quite
a white-knuckle time!).

To make matters worse, I'm needing to leave for the plane 10 minutes ago!

So I quickly try a few fallback passwords, no go!

ARGH!!!!

Think - think - think.  I sure don't want to have to reboot single user and
all that stuff...

Well, long story short - I had accidentally changed root's password when I
was trying to change the smb user!  Fortunately I got it right and reset
it to a better one!

Yikes!

rusty