[Plug-security] I'm Cracked

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Tue, 15 Aug 2000 18:50:03 -0400

Pretty good summary.

The Wolf

-> -----Original Message-----
-> From: Brian Cluff [mailto:brian@snaptek.com]
-> Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2000 3:27 PM
-> To: plug-security@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
-> Subject: Re: [Plug-security] I'm Cracked
->
-> do a rpm -Va
-> and look at all the programs that got changed, most of the
-> root kits that
-> are going around affect login, ps,top,lsof,chsh,chfn,
-> find,ls,who,w,last
-> ....etc.etc... you can bet that your ls and find aren't
-> going to report any
-> "..." directories or anyplace else that they don't want to to see.
->
-> Try either replaceing the rpm that contains ls and and do an
-> ls of the /dev
-> directory.  I would be willing to bet that there is either a
-> ... directory
-> or some other mysterious directory that should be there.
-> An alternative to re-installing ls would be to do
-> /home/ftp/bin/ls as they
-> usually don't touch that version of ls.
->
-> You will definatly want to get all those programs fixed as
-> most of them are
-> trojans and backdoor for regaining root access.
->
-> Do a port scan and check to see if you have a rogue telnet
-> running on a
-> strange port, offering root to whoever telnets to it.
->
-> after re-installing ps, check for a password sniffer.  You
-> will probably
-> find the list of sniffed passwords somewhere in the
-> /dev/mystery directory.
->
-> last but not least, check for added lines to your rc.local
-> file that will
-> re-hack you at startup.
->
-> thats as much as I can remember/have time to type off the
-> top of my head
-> about most of the script kiddy stuff going around these days.
->
-> Brian Cluff