[Plug-security] Preventing Single User Mode Boots

Brian Cluff brian@snaptek.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:45:24 -0700

> Anyone know off hand how you set a box to not allow single user mode
> boots?  I saw the latest Mandrake distro doing that in it's high and
> paranoid security setting installs.  I'd like to do that by hand to boxes
> running other distros, but didn't know how/where to set that.  Anyone know
> off hand?  If not, I'll figure it out and post it.

I would look into the "restricted" and "password=apassword" setings for
making it so that they have to enter a password if they put any command line
perameters.

Also, you could set timeout=0 so that they never do get a prompt at all.

You could also simply put a password for command line perameters using the
password=apassword thing, that way if you need to you can still get into
single user mode.

Brian Cluff