new computer

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 19:13:25 MST 2024

well, I'm going to get another recycled computer. A thinkcentre. From what
I've heard they are, at the most, 3 years old and not up to spec for
windows 11 (why they are in recycle). Got to love windows for that alone!
Or does someone have a better idea? Any one know of the top of there head
how much RAM maxes it out?

On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 10:59 PM wheelie207 via PLUG-discuss <
plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:

> Sent from Proton Mail <https://proton.me/mail/home> for iOS
> I have a system with over 32 gigs of DDR5 ram and the swap isn’t even
> used. I also have a thread ripper cpu and it runs at 5.8 gigahertz in speed
> on a am5 slot. But these new boards run the data through the cpu when
> reading and writing data to the ssd5.
>
> On Sun, Feb 25, 2024 at 09:02, Bob Elzer via PLUG-discuss <
> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org
> <On+Sun,+Feb+25,+2024+at+09:02,+Bob+Elzer+via+PLUG-discuss+%3C%3Ca+href=>>
> wrote:
>
> SSD ram cache does not prevent wear and tear on your SSD, it is used stop
> the bottleneck slowdown when writing lots of data to the SSD. The best way
> to prevent wear and tear is system ram, if you have enough ram the system
> may not even have to swap anything out, The three things that I always move
> off of an SSD are swap, log files, and tmp.
> If you have a ddr4 motherboard with four slots. You can have 128 GB of
> RAM. Right now you can get 64 GB of ddr4 RAM for around $135.
>
> What determines how much RAM you need is the programs you are running and
> how much RAM they need. Video and image editing require a lot more RAM then
> email and Web browsing.
>
> If you are going to use an SSD for your system drive. I would also
> recommend that the minimum size be 2 TB. As long as you don't fill it up,
> it has lots of room to use unused sectors to lessen the wear and tear.
>

> On Sun, Feb 25, 2024, 8:24 AM Stephen Partington via PLUG-discuss <
> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> On my current system I am running without swap, but I do have 32gb ram.
>>
>> If you pick an ssd with a ram cache on it you don't have to worry about
>> swap as much there. And you can extend ssd life with underprovisioning if
>> it still is a concern. But in reality a good quality ssd Wil last for years
>> even with swap in place as long as you don't run near max storage.
>>
>> On Sun, Feb 25, 2024, 6:49 AM James Mcphee via PLUG-discuss <
>> plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org> wrote:
>>
>>> To avoid swap wearing out your ssd, if you don't have an hd handy, you
>>> can set vm.swappiness to 0. This is not great since paging is quite
>>> efficient these days, but sometimes you'll want swap for suspend operations
>>> and don't want to actually page unless you're under memory pressure.

>>> --
>>> James McPhee
>>> jmcphe at gmail.com