Wide range of prices for same capacity SSDs

Jim azanorak at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 21:55:37 MST 2023

I'm thinking of getting a 2TB SSD for my home directory on my linux
box.  I currently have a 1TB SSD for /home/user and a 2TB HDD for media
I keep in my home directory, pictures, music files, etc.  I originally
had everything on a 2TB HDD but moved everything but the media to an
SDD.  To simplify things, I want to put it all on the same drive, only
this time an SSD.

I've seen a  wide range of prices for 2TB SSDs.  One samsung drive was
$130.  Another was $233. The site had a PNY SSD for $65.  I saw several
more from brands that are shared with RAM, in the $60 to $70 range.  The
descriptions for each suggest the read and write speeds are similar.
Other than the brand, what are the differences between a $60 or $70 2TB
SSD and a $250 2TB SSD?

Thank you.