Cheap Laptop

techlists at phpcoderusa.com techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Oct 12 18:26:21 MST 2023

On 2023-10-12 17:31, Steve Litt via PLUG-discuss wrote:
> Keith Smith via PLUG-discuss said on Thu, 12 Oct 2023 07:37:11 -0700
>

>> I know it could be used as a simple LAMP+BIND+Mail server because I
>> did so on a lesser laptop last year.
>
> I have no doubt 4GB RAM is plenty for a lightweight, no X server. My
> only other question would be whether a cheaper Raspberry Pi would fill
> the bill with less money, less space, and less energy usage.

This was a laptop that was on special at Walmart for under $200.  That
is the only reason I picket it.

Interesting you bring up the Raspberry Pi with less resources.  I wonder
what the cost would come to for the Raspberry Pi once you add in power,
an SSD, Keyboard, mouse, and a small monitor.  I really like the
Raspberry Pi.

The CanaKit Raspberry Pi 4 Extreme Kit - Aluminum Edition (8GB RAM) is
$189 and runs a Broadcom BCM2711 CPU that looks to be very inferior to
the CPU in the laptop.
https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Pi-Extreme-Kit/dp/B08NZ4JK26

I take it you do not believe something like Xfce would run on this
laptop?

Keith