The end of programming (not the replacement of programmers)

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 02:03:12 MST 2023

*Pointy haired manager to programmer:*  We are thinking of replacing
programming with AI.

*Programmer:*  Don't you mean you plan to replace programmers with AI.

*PHM:* No, replace programming itself.

*P:*  How?  Why?

*PHM: * Well, the Big, Poorly Understood AI produces really good results
without actually writing code.

*P:* Go on...

*PHM:*  Plus it's cheap and really, really prolific and efficient.

*P:* Sure, but its quality is awful!!

*PHM:* So is the quality of your software, all software, really.

*P.* Yeah, but the AI's quality is MUCH worse!

*PHM:*  Yes, but the AI is so affordable, efficient, and prolific, that the
wrongful death lawsuits will be just a cost of doing business, and we'll
still come out ahead according to the actuaries.